Old 26-03-2007, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Klara Klara is offline

Default Water cress growing? How?

In message , MadCow
writes
In message . com,
" writes

I was about to post that Kay and you did it for me! We are careful
where we buy our watercress from, locally, because Edward (mine that
is, not your Edward) remembered from his student days, someone who got
liver fluke through eating w.cress from a stream in Oxfordshire.

Liver fluke require both sheep and snails (and you to eat a tiny snail
with your watercress) so if you start with safe commercial watercress
and there are no sheep near your pond you should be OK.

What about birds bathing in and defecating into the water, though (as
they do in our tiny pond)? Could that become a problem, even if it isn't
now? Or is washing enough to take care of that?

--
Klara, Gatwick basin