Old 26-03-2007, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Peter Pan[_2_] Peter Pan[_2_] is offline

Default Fertilizer and Rain

I am trying to grow fescue, I had a nice THICK lawn a few years ago. The
Problem as I see it is my neighbor who is LAZY when it comes to yard work
allows his yard to grow anything that will germinate i.e.crab grass, I
think the spoors were able to blow into my yard and I developed a bad crab
grass problem. I never put a crab grass prevention down so I basically
played catch up all summer and needless to say my yard was no longer the
thick beautiful lawn, I had a yard with crab grass.
Should I stay with the Scotts products or change to something else? And
where do I get the Green Light crab grass prevention?
Thanks
"Steve" wrote in message
. 142...
Jim wrote in
:

Peter Pan wrote:

I live in NJ and recently purchased some Scotts Fertilizer
30-3-4(Blue bag) from Lowes, the woman working there said that is
what's needed for this time of year. I came home with the Scotts and
some Lime and applied both to my lawn. Later that day it began to
drizzle and continued with the light rain for the remainder of the
day.

you were so well blessed to receive a light slow drizzling
rain on the very day just after making the fertilizer application.
the water begins the process of breaking the fertilizer down and
making it available to the grass as plant food.

Do I need to re-apply the Scotts or will my
lawn be ok?

no, just go out and brag to all your friends of how you received
a light slow drizzling rain on the very day just after making the
fertilizer application. g

My second question is what is the next thing I should do for my
lawn?

what's your over all objective for your lawn and what type of
grass are you growing?

If you have crabgrass, a crabgrass preventer like Green Light. Should be
applied when the forthisia blooms, because that is an indication of the
soil being warm enough for the crabgrass seeds to begin to germinate. Re
apply one May 15th, because it can germinate in different times on
different parts of your lawn (cooler areas). You might also want to put
down a weed screen product. I use Portrait.