Old 26-03-2007, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Acid Soil

"Merryterry2000" wrote ...
The soil on my tiny veg patch has become very acid through application
of garden compost over many years. The top surface has a green sheen
to it when dry which I assume to show an acid condition?

What do I do to quickly bring the condition to, say neutral?

I expect I will be told to add lime but how much to start with?

You will need to test the pH, kits are available and there are also
electronic testers at about £14. Of course there are professional ones at
silly prices too.
When you have tested it and got a pH reading then you will have some idea
how much lime to spread on it to bring it back to neutral, pH7 .
We use a 25Kg bag of lime every year on our brassica bed.
--
Regards
Bob H