Old 27-03-2007, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jane Jane is offline

Default To repot or not to repot, that is the question

On Mar 26, 5:14 pm, wrote:
go up one pot size if you think you need to, but keep the old pot (or
one of a similar size) handy in case you discover your root ball
really isn't as large as you think it is. you don't want to over pot.

don't break the spike.

yes, clean off as much of the old medium as you can; if a root is
hanging onto a piece of bark with a death grip, it's ok to let it keep
it.

don't break the spike.

pull or trim off any wet mushy roots; anything that feels firm,
regardless of color, is still good and you should keep it.

don't break the spike.

can you tell i've broken short spikes before? :-)

see also:

http://firstrays.com/potting.htm

--j_a

Hmmm - looks like I shouldn't break the spike?

I think I'm in luck with this. The spike is just starting to peep out
so it's only about an inch or so in length. I'll be VERY careful.