Old 26-03-2007, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Two pampas grass questions

Sue wrote:
"tina" wrote Hi,
Is it possible to reduce the diameter of a pampas grass plant? Ours
is about 4ft in diameter and I'd like to reduce it in size. If it is
posible what do you use...a saw?

Remembering how hard a job it was to get rid of two moderately sized
clumps of pampas when we first moved to our present home, I'd say
Semtex or a JCB.

I can safely say that the latter doesn't work.
We hired a digger and driver to excavate an extension last October, a huge
pampas was right on the edge of one of the cuts, he scraped at it, dug
around it and eventually left the stump there...we built alongside it and it
got covered in several layers of mortar, gravel and eventually stone and it
was driven over forty or fifty times by an excavator.

It's just started sending up new shoots.