Old 27-03-2007, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright Kyle Boatright is offline

Default Fertilizer and Rain

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
I am trying to grow fescue, I had a nice THICK lawn a few years ago. The
Problem as I see it is my neighbor who is LAZY when it comes to yard work
allows his yard to grow anything that will germinate i.e.crab grass, I
think the spoors were able to blow into my yard and I developed a bad
crab
grass problem. I never put a crab grass prevention down so I basically
played catch up all summer and needless to say my yard was no longer the
thick beautiful lawn, I had a yard with crab grass.
Should I stay with the Scotts products or change to something else? And
where do I get the Green Light crab grass prevention?
Thanks

In your situation, you should probably seed the fescue in the fall and apply
crabgrass preventer in the spring. Either when the forsythia bloom or when
the soil temperatures get above 50f.

You don't want to use a crabgrass preventer until 8 weeks or so after any
fescue seed has been sewn or the pre-emergent will kill the fescue.

If I had a neighbor like yours, I'd just apply pre-emergent to a 10-20'
strip of his yard closest to mine.

KB