Old 27-03-2007, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Danae racemosa [was Two pampas grass questions]

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)" writes:

| That's the plant that does a good impression of a cross between a posh
| Laurel and an Aucuba?

Not really. It is a vastly posher form of butcher's broom. It is THE
best plant for cut foliage.

| AFAIK it spreads by runners (rhizomes?) so it should be easy to grab a
few
| healthy bits. I might be wrong but I think the plant is fairly shallow
| rooted.

No, it doesn't. It forms a dense mat of thick roots. You are right
that it is shallow rooted, but a 3' diameter lump 1' thick weighs
what? More than I can lift at my time of life ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Can't be bovered to do the pi r*2 bit along with soil density. I agree it
will be heavy. A very sharp spade perhaps or a chain saw (bushmans saw) :-)