Old 27-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Two pampas grass questions

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:14:37 +0100, tina wrote:

Hi,
Is it possible to reduce the diameter of a pampas grass plant? Ours is
about 4ft in diameter and I'd like to reduce it in size. If it is
posible what do you use...a saw?

I have just cut it back and wondered whats the best thing to do with
the blasted razor edged clippings. Can they be put on the compost?

Thanks

IME the centres of large clumps tend to be dead, but this will become
clearer when you get into it. Cut down the fronds (I used an electric
hedge trimmer, but sharp shears will do), then go at it with a grub
axe (a heavy mattock with an axe blade on the other side). A _sharp_
spade and a pick might do. I dug a trench all round the perimeter with
a spade, then cut under with the grub axe, and hack it out in smallish
chunks. They're not deep rooted. 4ft in diameter is a baby!

You might find it simpler to take out the whole thing, and then select
a healthy chunk and replant it in the centre of the 'hole'. Mine went
onto the compost heap, roots and all. I'll let you know next year if
it rotted!

--
Chris