Old 27-03-2007, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Keeping hydrangea blue

On 27 Mar 2007 10:06:39 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 27, 5:54 pm, Jim S wrote:
On 27 Mar 2007 09:49:17 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 27, 5:35 pm, Jim S wrote:
On 27 Mar 2007 09:25:45 -0700, Snowflake wrote:

I have been given a present of a blue hydrangea because I do not like
pink and the donor says there is a way to keep it blue but cannot
remember how. Any help is appreciated and the plant is to survive in
North of Scotland.
Ailsa

There are blueing powders in the garden centres based on aluminium
sulphate(?) I think.
There are also claims that sticking (iron/steel) nails among the roots does
the same thing. The colours are the opposite way to litmus paper so you are
looking towards an acid soil.
I am trying a mixture of iron and aluminium roofing nails, but I did put
them there before the winter.
If all the hydrangeas in your street are pink, you may be in for a long
battle )
--
Jim S
Tyneside UKhttp://www.jimscott.co.uk

Jim, I've tried your method, mine still flower as pink!!! The only
ones that do come up a beautiful blue colour each year, without any
additives, are the Japanese ones.

Judith

Aaah. You have spoiled my anticipation (
I trust yours were blue to begin with?
--
Jim S
Tyneside UKhttp://www.jimscott.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

They were. I have taken cuttings of a white one which have all taken,
do you know if white have any problems keeping true?

I have a feeling the white ones have little or no pigment to change. Having
said that I did have one which tinged with pink, like apple blossom, and was
quite pretty.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK