Old 27-03-2007, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] judith.lea99@googlemail.com is offline

Default What Grew In Victorian Public Parks?

On Mar 27, 6:37 pm, "Howard Haigh" hh001c7439@$NOSPAMPLEASE
$blueyonder.co.uk wrote:
Hi All

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is engaged in an art project and
she would like to know what plants would have appeared in Victorian public
parks - well actually in one particular public park (Peel Park in Salford,
opened in 1846). From what I can see the Victorians were keen on colourful
borders but some of you out there might know a lot more and could name a few
plants.

I'll forward replies on to her (she uses e-mail but doesn't know anything
about newsgroups and URG).

TIA

Howard

Howard, try Googling on the Victorian Garden at Norwich. I have
worked on the project, now complete, where an original Victorian
garden, with a folly, was discovered under years and years of leaf
mould. It is a great garden and open to the public.

Judith