Old 27-03-2007, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Geoff[_6_] Geoff[_6_] is offline

Default Keeping hydrangea blue

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 27, 6:26 pm, "Geoff" wrote:
Watering with
the dregs of your teapot and mulching with all your neighbours' spent tea
leaves would not hurt.

The plant might stay blue for a few years.

Geoff, a serious question - neither my husband or I drink tea, we are
freshly ground coffee drinkers, would that do?

I found my narrow band indicator papers and just as my wife was about to
start a fresh brew, I managed to rescue to the last lot's grouts. I
pressed a piece of pH 4 to 6 paper in them and found the pH to be between 4
and 4.5. Anything less that pH 7 is considered to be acidic. So, coffee
grouts will add acidity to the soil with the added bonus of keeping the
hydrangeas awake!!!

I do not like tea either!

Geoff