Old 27-03-2003, 06:32 PM
paghat

Default Ivy

In article ,
"mefromhere" wrote:

Probably been asked loads of times before, but this is the first time I've
come across this newsgroup so apologies in advance. We have tonnes of ivy
growing on the ground around my plants (from the neighbours rotten trees) -
how can we possibly kill it all off without disturbing the plants and stop
any recurrence?

Thanks in advance.

Kathy

I got rid of a shitload of destructive ivy (with a hired helper) but
digging it out. I saved one root as big around as Popeye's arm & gnarly &
cool. A bit of the ivy grew back the following year, but not much, it was
easy to get the last remnants. It was one hell of a chore, I was glad not
to have to do it alone, but now it's gone, & today where there was once
nothing but an endless sea of ivy there is an elaborate garden with scores
of different plants. For a long time after I was very resisting planting
ivy anywhere even knowing the small cultivars are not invasive
troublemakers, but emotionally I couldn't stand the stuff for a while. I
eventually overcame that & planted a half-dozen dwarf cultivars of English
ivy.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"