Old 27-03-2007, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default What Grew In Victorian Public Parks?

Sacha wrote:
On 27/3/07 18:37, in article
, "Howard Haigh"
wrote:

Hi All

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is engaged in an art
project and she would like to know what plants would have appeared
in Victorian public parks - well actually in one particular public
park (Peel Park in Salford, opened in 1846). From what I can see the
Victorians were keen on colourful borders but some of you out there
might know a lot more and could name a few plants.

I'll forward replies on to her (she uses e-mail but doesn't know
anything about newsgroups and URG).

I'd suggest she contacts Kew, as well as this group. And are there no
public records/photographs etc of the period? They might not have
written down what they planted but there might be photographs. She
could get the people of Salford involved in hunting through their
family snapshots and make it a communal interest project. ;-)

Yes. And it would be worth going to the council parks department:
detailed records would certainly have been kept at the time, and may
have been preserved in the council archive.

--
Mike.