Old 28-03-2007, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default What Grew In Victorian Public Parks?

"Howard Haigh" wrote in message
. ..
Hi All

I'm asking this on behalf of a friend who is engaged in an art project and
she would like to know what plants would have appeared in Victorian public
parks - well actually in one particular public park (Peel Park in Salford,
opened in 1846). From what I can see the Victorians were keen on colourful
borders but some of you out there might know a lot more and could name a
few
plants.

I'll forward replies on to her (she uses e-mail but doesn't know anything
about newsgroups and URG).

TIA

Howard

I once owned a private garden which was remodelled around 1850.
So 150 years latter there were the obvious remnants of grand design but none
more noticeable than Bamboo (Sasa) and Japanese knotweed.!!
The more charming plants of that era were well gone
Anything with vibrant colour to alleviate
the dull drab Vicky era was in fashion, such as Cana.
Think bold and big colour or leaf and that would be the fashion.
Two world wars and a different urgency rather side tracked garden design.
The best of British and please let us know what you find out about plants in
those times