Old 28-03-2007, 12:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
drsolo drsolo is offline

Default sitting out by the pond

well we had a couple 80o days up here in the frozen tundra, now we are back
to the 50's. but I got to sit by the pond at night, watch the fish side lit
by the light and slowly lazily swim by. the pond was pea soup green and I
put the bucket filter in and it cleared up pretty fast, 2 days. First day I
used polyester batting, had to pull that out and dump it as it was loaded,
next day I put in netting, stiffer filter material and I can tell the stuff
is in there I am going to have to drag it in to rinse it off. I am still
waiting on the 100' of 3/4 tubing to try to make a cold water filter. the
ammonia level is there. I think "they" are spawning cause I have seen some
of that "salmon up the waterfall" nonsense and "shimmy release the eggs"
replicated in the area where the water from the pump is pouring down into
the pond. They are begging for food so I been giving them the daphnia and
krill. they go nuts. everyone looks good and swimming well, the pH seems to
be below 7. will need a water change soon I guess. the plastic is off the
pond, the heater is off so the temp may drop from the 68oF it was. it was a
nice while it lasted. I really do have to get a greenhouse up over this so
I can extend my season with the pond. Ingrid