Old 28-03-2007, 12:47 PM posted to austin.gardening
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default snow is gone in Austin

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:11:08 -0600, Omelet
wrote:

Calm down... Not all of us dislike mexican labor.
For many of us, it's all we can afford and they do a helluva good job
for the most part.

My only gripe is is that I have to learn more Spanish if I hire even the
ones with green cards. ;-)

When we first moved to Austin from Dallas, from New York; I was not
prepared for how many Mexican men and women worked here. I was
actually pleased because I come from and grew up in NYC, Brooklyn
actually, and I missed the cultural diversity. Dallas is like being
dropped into a white bread loaf!

Anyway, we had our pool put in the very first thing we did and the men
worked out in the heat, never complained, never said anything mean or
disparaging. I do speak a certain amount of Spanish from having
Puerto Rican men working in the greenhouses up on Long Island. I
don't have conversational knowledge. I fast learned that I could go
to any number of translators online and type what I wanted them to do
in English and would print it out in Spanish. Not all of them could
read, so I didn't want to embarrass them, so I'd just hold it up and
whoever walked over to read it, did so.

At the end I gave them all a big tip and they couldn't believe it.
Coming from New York, where tipping is absolutely demanded, was a nice
change. They were actually thankful!

The man I had build my retaining wall and privacy fence thought I was
over-paying him and almost wanted to refuse the money... I paid him what
I could afford which was about 1/5th of what a local masonry contractor
wanted.

This was the first time I'd used Mexican labor.
It was almost scary...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.