Old 28-03-2007, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes[_2_] Alan Holmes[_2_] is offline

Default Max/min thermometer.

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"Geoff" wrote in message
On Sunday I paid £9.99 at a garden centre for a max/min thermometer: it
worked for one day before the iron wire within it sank below the surface
of the blue liquid on the max temp' side and the thing became n.b.g.!

Today I took it back and was refunded the money.

On my way home I called at an ironmonger's and asked them if they had a
max/min thermometer. "In all honesty I could not recommend buying one
from anywhere if it has a blue liquid in it." one of the assistants told
me. I explained what had happened to the one I'd bought and the
assistant said, "It's the b----- EU and a directive about mercury I've
been told! We had some with mercury in and they worked a treat but we had
to return them and were sent those useless things which we've now got rid
of back to the supplier."

Now my question is, "Can anybody recommend a make of max/min thermometer
which works and does not cost more than about a tenner?" I do not want
an electronic one.

Geoff

It was decreed that putting mercury metal in the hands of the great
unwashed
( the public) was not a good thing:-)
Pretty nasty stuff -so use blue or red dyed alcohol as an alternative.
Totally accurate and environmentally sound.

Except that it doesn't seem to work!