Old 28-03-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default starting seedlings

In article .com,
"ctlady" wrote:

On Mar 25, 2:33 pm, "Tater" wrote:

I am getting anxious to start seedlings.
I've heard of trying to pre-germinate before planting in starter
trays, can someone recommend a method?

The best advice that I got on the subject of germinating, came from "The
Cook", who posts here regularly. I can't find her exact words but
essentially she said you need four things, (1) a simple water proof hot
pad, (2) a water tight tray for your flats or six packs to sit in (with
a transparent cover if possible), (3) sterile germination medium to
sprout your seeds in and, (4) florescent shop lights (cheap) or grow
lights (expensive).

In my case I bought a starter tray from a nursery. It has a transparent
top, which lets light in and hold in the warmth, and 72 cells to start
the seeds in. The germination medium, in my case, is called "Black Gold".
I have an old hot pad with controls that say low, medium and, high. I
only use low. Mix up the germinating medium with some water. Load your
tray with the damp medium and the seeds that you want to sprout and hang
the light fixture as close as you can to the germination cells.

That should do it. Read the seed packet for more information on the
plant tat you are trying to germinate. Some require light, some don't.
Some like to spend a week in the refrigerator on a paper towel, most
don't. Some, like anise, take three to four weeks to germinate.

Except for peppers, a little peat moss (acidic) sprinkled on top helps
by holding moisture.

Once the tray has sprouted, turn off the hot pad and adjust the light
fixture to keep it as close to the plants as possible, without touching
them. Give the seedlings 10 - 14 hrs of light/day (I rotate two trays in
and out.).

This system as worked like a charm and lets me grow plans not offered by
local nurseries and only takes up about four feet on top of a book shelf.

Happy gardening,

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)

After a few weeks, set the plants outside during the day for
progressively longer periods (hardening off). At about the third leaf,
if your past the last frost, you can plant.