Old 28-03-2007, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Acid Soil

"R" wrote in reply to

"Merryterry2000" who asked...
The soil on my tiny veg patch has become very acid through application
of garden compost over many years. The top surface has a green sheen
to it when dry which I assume to show an acid condition?

What do I do to quickly bring the condition to, say neutral?

I expect I will be told to add lime but how much to start with?

For a more in depth idea
http://tinyurl.com/2gdzmt

From that site this is of interest...
http://www.aglime.org.uk/technical05.htm

you need to do some maths to get to the small amounts needed in the usual
garden/allotment.
To help I list a few conversions.. :-)

multiply the Hectares figures by 0.4047 to get acres.
1 acre is 4840 sq yards.
1 sq Rod/Pole/Perch is 30.25 sq yards.(normal measurements used for
allotments)
1 Tonne is 1,000 Kg.
Normal GC bag contains 25 Kg.

So our brassica plot has a pH of about 5.6 and is just under a quarter of
the 7.5 Rods we use for veg and is silt/clay type so according to my maths I
need 52 Kg of lime.
That site also suggests a 4 year cycle so our 4 year crop rotation will be
OK as the plots get limed every 4 years, hopefully it won't need as much in
subsequent applications.

--
Regards
Bob H