Old 28-03-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg Chris Hogg is offline

Default Faeces

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:21:44 +0100, Babs ] wrote:

Can anyone please tell me what creature leaves black faeces on our lawn?
The stools are about 4cm long x 1cm diameter, sometimes quite dry
sometimes resembling thick tar. We haven't removed the faeces before
mowing the lawn so would the grass cutting be OK on the compost heap?

I associate black faeces with badgers, but the ones you describe sound
too small. I'd go along with Chris S's suggestion of hedgehog. I think
colour is more an indication of what the animal is eating, rather than
what it is. I imagine that badgers and hedgehogs have similar diets
but on a different scale. They'd probably be OK in the compost heap,
but I remove all faeces from our grass before mowing, simply because
cleaning the mower afterwards is not very nice if it's got crap
splattered all over the underside.

--
Chris