Old 28-03-2007, 08:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
William Rose William Rose is offline

Default Box garden question

In article .com,
"Jonathan" wrote:

I am building two large organic vegetable box gardens - 16 by 4 ft.
and about 3 ft deep.
I was wondering about how concerned I should be about slowing the wood
rotting over time. I am using redwood. I was thinking of lining the
interior with plastic, but I don't want it to leach anything toxic
into the soil. Do I need to be consider a lining, and if so, is there
a kind of plastic that is recommended?

You may want to check the soil pH over time because redwood has oxalic
acid in it and it will lower the pH. Nothing that ashes can't fix. Don't
sweat the oxalic. It's put in bread to keep it from spoiling.

- Bill
Cloribus gustibus non disputatum (mostly)