Old 28-03-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Gill Passman Gill Passman is offline

Default hit heron?

kthirtya wrote:
It's amazing what you find out about our
backyard worlds once a pond goes in.

My main memory of the old pond and wildlife was how traumatic it was
cutting the grass once the tadpoles grew into frogs and left the pond
for pastures new......we get quite a bit of wildlife around here because
although technically it is in a suburb we have no houses backing onto us
and the houses across the road just back onto parkland....the road is
very busy though....it is not unusual to sit in the living room and see
wild foxes/deer and such like traversing the gardens of the houses
opposite.....our boundaries are quite securely fenced these days so we
don't get the foxes that much but do get less savoury visitors (just
don't mention rats unless you really want to send me on a tirade -
uuggghhhh)- wild rabbits are also quite common and we used to get a lot
of grass snakes - fortunately for us, over here, the only poisonous
snake other than the adder are any that have escaped from captivity....

We still get a number of dragon fly and such like because of the water
feature and the bog garden.....

One thing I used to love about the old pond was how it added to the
diversity in insect life....and also how the frogs populated it (don't
think ours are quite as noisy as yours).....it was great to take the
boys up to the pond and follow the life cycle from frog spawn, to
tadpole to baby frogs.....

Gill

It's always fun to see what turns up on pond
boards 'what the heck is this?'

Can't wait :-)

My favorite discovery were the rat-tail maggots,
infant droneflies, who breathe thru long telescoping
tails.

k :-)

Gill :-)