Old 29-03-2007, 05:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Duckweed

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 15:57:23 CST, hyperbole
wrote:

I just found this group. Does any pond owner have experience with
duckweed? I'm in SE PA with about a 1/3 acre pond on my property.
It's spring-fed with a stand pipe for a drain that goes into the city's
storm drain system. It's been choaked with duckweed now for 3 years.
I've tried fish, including the triploid carp that the PA Dept of
Fisheries recommends (forget it!). I'm moving toward a herbicide. Has
anyone used Sonar Q? I wonder how it can kill all the duckweed since
even a few survivors can re-population in a matter of months. Would I
have to do this every spring? Can anyone help?

Thanks,

I have virtually the same problem with duckweed. I don't know the
answer. If I find one, I'll tell you. I've got three ponds on the
property. The back one was completely clear. I'm pretty sure it got
exposed because ducks would fly there and hide during duck hunting
season,but I never had a problem with duckweed. (I'm right near the
Suwannee River in northern Florida and sometimes it sounds like a
small war zone here during duck season.) Anyway, there used to be
turtles and stuff back there. Then an alligator moved in, and died
shortly thereafter (not in the water). I don't see the turtles anymore
and I have duckweed covering my pond. No, I don't think the turtles
ate the duckweed, but the alligator may have eaten both the turtles
and whatever kept the duckweed in check. It may well have been a mere
coincidence that the alligator and duckweed appeared at the same time,
however the alligator is dead and can't defend itself, therefore I
find it an attractive target. But from what I've read, biological
controls don't seem to be very effective on duckweed. I am very, very
reluctant to use herbicides, but from what I can find Sonar seems
fairly decent as far as those things go.

Get a big net and periodically scoop it out. Anything that kills it is
going to kill other things.