Old 29-03-2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_2_] ~ jan[_2_] is offline

Default Broken record water lily question

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 22:47:40 CST, "humBill" wrote:

They should be butted against the pot, at kinda sorta 30 degrees or so,
growing end towards the middle and not covered up, clay type soil. Others
more toward your area can probably tell you about appropriate water temps.
I know they can withstand low temps when they are acclimated but not sure
about shocking a new plant. HTH
Bill

I agree, except the soil doesn't have to be clay. Mine do great in my sandy
soil.... though I do fertilize often (about once/month).

I use baskets, the cheaper utility type that look like mini laundry
baskets, lined with weed cloth. After I've added dirt, adjusted the tuber
as Bill mentioned, I put strips of weed cloth on top of the dirt and then
my rocks. This keeps the rocks from shifting thru the sand to the bottom of
the basket, I don't have to use as many rocks, and best of all, when I put
the basket in the water, very little floats/escapes into the water. You
must use thin strips, running in the same direction the plant is going to
grow.

Canadian Ponder, you now have some homework. It is your job to surf the
internet and find the best website with pictures. Post site here. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State