Old 29-03-2007, 11:19 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens,rec.crafts.brewing
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Maple Syrup II

A good reference on tapping is here"
Walters, Russell S. Sugarbush Management US. Dept. Agric. Forest Service,
Gen. Tech. Report NE-72: 25-37; 1982
Walters, Russell S.; Yawney, Harry W. Sugar Maple Tapholes US. Dept. Agric.
Forest Service, Gen. Tech. Report NE-72: 8-15; 1982

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
Last week we showed how we collect the sap and this week we are boiling it
down to syrup.

The kettle on the right is the pre-heater and collector. The bags of sap
are poured into this kettle as they are collected. It is held in the
kettle to not only begin heating but to allow it to flow into the boiling
kettle on the left at a controlled rate.

If this looks familiar to brewers that's because it is our brewery serving
another purpose.

js