Old 29-03-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.gardens
Harold[_2_] Harold[_2_] is offline

Default Garden soil prices escalate

On Mar 29, 10:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

oups.com...

Garden soil prices escalate.

I have just returned from shopping for bagged garden soil for my
raised garden and found since last season, that not only have they
increased the price by 60 percent but they have reduced the size of
the bags by twenty five percent. The soil is made of ground-up
materials from old buildings that are torn down and allowed to
compost, lead based paints and all. The processors call the product
"black gold." I wonder if the inflation gurus take into consideration
the reduction of the sizes of goods on top of the increased price when
establishing the inflation rate?
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com

You have a conflicting pair of ideas in what you wrote. First, you said
"garden soil prices", which suggests that ALL garden soil has increased in
price. Then, you mentioned "black gold", which sounds like a brand name.
Matter of fact, it *is* a brand name. I wonder if other brands have NOT
increased in price and had their packages made smaller.

It might be worthwhile to hire a private detective for a day, to assist you
in finding stores which sell a different brand.

Thanks for your comments. I went to three mass merchandisers and the
prices have all increased. The phrase "black gold" came from the mouth
of a guy on TV describing the process of taking waste building
material and making it into compost. Last season I was able to buy one
cubic yard of soil for $24.00 but this year the prevailing price is
$48.00 for the same amount of stuff. I would say that such an increase
is quite significant and troubling.
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com