Old 29-03-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Garden soil prices escalate

"Harold" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 1:27 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

ups.com...

On Mar 29, 10:47 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Harold" wrote in message

groups.com...

Garden soil prices escalate.

I have just returned from shopping for bagged garden soil for my
raised garden and found since last season, that not only have they
increased the price by 60 percent but they have reduced the size of
the bags by twenty five percent. The soil is made of ground-up
materials from old buildings that are torn down and allowed to
compost, lead based paints and all. The processors call the product
"black gold." I wonder if the inflation gurus take into
consideration
the reduction of the sizes of goods on top of the increased price
when
establishing the inflation rate?
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com

You have a conflicting pair of ideas in what you wrote. First, you
said
"garden soil prices", which suggests that ALL garden soil has
increased
in
price. Then, you mentioned "black gold", which sounds like a brand
name.
Matter of fact, it *is* a brand name. I wonder if other brands have
NOT
increased in price and had their packages made smaller.

It might be worthwhile to hire a private detective for a day, to
assist
you
in finding stores which sell a different brand.

Thanks for your comments. I went to three mass merchandisers and the
prices have all increased. The phrase "black gold" came from the mouth
of a guy on TV describing the process of taking waste building
material and making it into compost. Last season I was able to buy one
cubic yard of soil for $24.00 but this year the prevailing price is
$48.00 for the same amount of stuff. I would say that such an increase
is quite significant and troubling.
Harold
www.raised-garden-bed.com

It sounds like a weird product, so I don't know why you'd buy it to begin
with. And, the main thing contributing to the price increases you've
mentioned is the cost of fuel for vehicles which deliver pretty much
everything. My company ships product by truck, and the per mile rate is
up
drastically over the past 18 months.

My only alternative is to buy it by the truck load which would give me
more than I can use and don't care to have a big pile of dirt in my
yard.

With every response, this gets more interesting. In the beginning, you
referred to bagged soil. Are you saying that where you live, there is no
source of a different brand of bagged soil? There are NO other sources of
BAGGED soil?

AND - this black gold stuff may contain lead and all sorts of other crap.
Were you planning on using it to grow things you plan to eat?