Old 29-03-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jay[_2_] Jay[_2_] is offline

Default Box garden question

On Mar 28, 1:51 pm, "Jonathan" wrote:
I am building two large organic vegetable box gardens - 16 by 4 ft.
and about 3 ft deep.
I was wondering about how concerned I should be about slowing the wood
rotting over time. I am using redwood. I was thinking of lining the
interior with plastic, but I don't want it to leach anything toxic
into the soil. Do I need to be consider a lining, and if so, is there
a kind of plastic that is recommended?

I have built raised gardens from composite decking material, cedar
decking planks and finally cypress without any sort of lining. Don't
have any that are more than a year old so no history at this point but
seems like any of these would be OK for the long run. I was able to
relocate a composite garden quite easily by merely taking a shovel and
prying it up all around and moving it intact to another location. The
soil that remained was raked out into the surrounding lawn.
Jay
raised-garden-bed.com