Old 29-03-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Tomato spacing

On 29/3/07 17:00, in article
ult, "Steve Harris"
wrote:

On GQT some months back, they gave the results of a trial where they put
1, 2, 3 or 4 tomato plants in growbags. To their surprise, they got the
best crop from crowding 4 plants into a bag.

I'm therefore considering planting my outdoor toms in the soil at much
less than the standard 18" spacing.

Comments?

This is going to upset you and GW. ;-) Ray used to grow tomatoes
commercially back in Essex during the 50s, 60s and 70s, under glass. They
grew plants for sale and for the tomatoes. He said they grew them a metre
apart, producing loads of fruit. His advice is that tomatoes will grow to
take up the space available to them and thus produce more fruit. Using
growbags, he suggests people put two per bag and if placing the growbags
side by side, put them about a metre apart.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk