Old 29-03-2007, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert \(Plymouth\) Robert \(Plymouth\) is offline

Default Broad beans flowering already!?

David D Stretch wrote:
: On Thursday 29 Mar 2007 11:45, Andy Spragg
: ) wrote:
:
:: My broad beans, sowed last autumn, are nice sturdy young plants now.
:: However, most of them have already started to flower, despite them
:: being no more than 12" tall, and it being no less than about 3
:: months early! Has anyone else encountered this problem (if indeed it
:: is a problem)? Should I pinch the flowers out or just let them get
:: on with it?
:
: Ours were planted at the same time, and are a bit smaller than that.
: But they are also flowering.
: David

Well that's what they do. Don't pinch them out yet, let them grow taller
with more flower. I pinch out when they're about 3 feet or so tall. I use a
few ropes tied horizontally along the row at 9" intervals approx to support
the row against the wind