Old 29-03-2007, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
drsolo drsolo is offline

Default Duckweed

My friend "The Pond Lady" has many greenhouses full of water lilies, lotus,
etc for sale and also duckweed and azolla. She uses some kind of skimmer
set up to get rid of it because it keeps the ponds too cool and uses up too
much of the fertilzer she needs to grow her plants on. 262-594-3033. ask
her what her set up is. Ingrid

"hyperbole" wrote in message
I just found this group. Does any pond owner have experience with
duckweed? I'm in SE PA with about a 1/3 acre pond on my property.
It's spring-fed with a stand pipe for a drain that goes into the city's
storm drain system. It's been choaked with duckweed now for 3 years.
I've tried fish, including the triploid carp that the PA Dept of
Fisheries recommends (forget it!). I'm moving toward a herbicide. Has
anyone used Sonar Q? I wonder how it can kill all the duckweed since
even a few survivors can re-population in a matter of months. Would I
have to do this every spring? Can anyone help?

Thanks,