Old 29-03-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi Reel McKoi is offline

Default Broken record water lily question

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Mar 29, 12:11 am, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:
I plant them in those black plasticpondbaskets lined with old pillow
cases. I fill the pot with soil and put the tuber, cut end against one
side. This is done so the lily can grow across the pot. Then I add
about 2
inches of medium size gravel to keep them from digging in the pots. I
also
add 1/2 (give or take) of a Jobe's Rose fertilizer spike. Push it down
into
the soil.

Goldfish don't root around the lily much but somekoiwill. I've hadkoi
root them right out of their pots. Don't let the tuber or growing tip
freeze.
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

i have found that when planting lilies or any aquatic planst for that
matter that placing a perimeter of large rocks around the base of the
plant makes it nearly impossible for koi to get to the roots.

That crossed my mind but I though the lily may not be able to root over
larger rocks, which we have here in great abundance (limestone). Do your
lilies root over them without a problem? Are you using those about the size
of eggs called "eggrock" from places like Lowe's? Larger?
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.