Old 27-03-2003, 08:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] evil squirrels!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Lewis"
Subject: [IBC] evil squirrels!

I haven't been following this thread but it's my

understanding
that the
black eastern squirrel is just a grey squirrel in a

different
color
phase..... the farther south one goes the less likely the

black
color phase
is to occur... I'm not certain if that's recessive gene

stuff
or what.

Yes. That's so.
Jim Lewis

No, As Art Krummel stated in a post ( Art lives near me and is

in our
local club) OUR black squirrels come from Kent State University

directly
about 20 minutes north of me and 10 minutes north of Art).

They were
brought here by a research prof. in the late 40's/early 50's

from
frica( If I remember the folk lore correct)

You said it right, Dale. This is 100% folklore. The black
squirrels are gray squirrels -- just like the white squirrels.
There are colonies of black squirrels scattered here and there
all though the area above the Mason Dixon line.

In fact, I can find no reference to squirrels in Africa at all --
tho they may have some over there somewhere.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL -

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++