Old 30-03-2007, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Derek Broughton Derek Broughton is offline

Default Sunfish in ponds?

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

While - attention - goldfish, koi and sunfish are well known
to be first class biotope killers..

Habitat killers, meaning they destroy their habitat or environment?
I'm not sure I understand that either, but it's an interesting idea.

I understand how koi dig and muddy the pond. I am not sure how
goldfish and sunfish doi that. Our goldies would multiply fast, as
would sunfish. How do thoase species destroy habitats?

We've probably all seen ponds overfull of carp. I don't think they can be
described so much as "habitat killers" as "habitat modifiers". They make
the environment over to match what they like. Sort of like people...
--
derek
- Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself, not rec.ponds.moderated