Old 30-03-2007, 02:02 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Reel McKoi Reel McKoi is offline

Default Broken record water lily question

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Reel McKoi wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
ideally if you can plant them in your pond on a shelf so the roots can
extend throughout he pond and become a natural filter for the
sediment. if you must put it in a pot then place it a bit deeper in
the pond. dont know much about canadian springs but do know lilies
are pretty hardy no matter where you put them

==========================
I don't know where you live but water lilies can become a serious pest in
soil bottom ponds here in TN. They will take them over covering the
water
surface completely.

This is a problem?

To some people yes. They want to see their ornamental fish, go fishing,
swimming or maybe take the rowboat out for awhile. When the pond is
completely full of water lilies they say they can't use the pond to enjoy.

I routinely have to break down and just compost a plant
or two. Essentially, if the lilies are sprouting aerial leaves like a
lotus, you have too many!

I keep mine in pots and have given away many over the years, when I divide
them. There's no problem with them taking over my ponds. :-)

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.