Old 30-03-2007, 02:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Sunfish in ponds?

In article ,
Meat Plow wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:16:06 -0600, Derek Broughton wrote:

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

While - attention - goldfish, koi and sunfish are well known
to be first class biotope killers..

Habitat killers, meaning they destroy their habitat or environment?
I'm not sure I understand that either, but it's an interesting idea.

I understand how koi dig and muddy the pond. I am not sure how
goldfish and sunfish doi that. Our goldies would multiply fast, as
would sunfish. How do thoase species destroy habitats?

We've probably all seen ponds overfull of carp. I don't think they can be
described so much as "habitat killers" as "habitat modifiers". They make
the environment over to match what they like. Sort of like people...

I've seen many larger natural ponds seeming overrun with carp and golds to
the point where you could almost walk across them where the ecosystem of
the pond adjusted nicely. I wouldn't recommend carp or goldies for the
backyard pond. Koi seem to do well in that environment.

I've got over 20 medium and large goldfish + at least 30 mosquito fish
in my 800 gal pond. Though I've got lots of plants (dense areas to hide
for all), never have goldfish fry. Haven't ever. Someone's eating the
fry and it can only be gold or mosquitofish.