Old 30-03-2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Will herbs grow in 4" of soil?

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 00:09:10 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 23:08:21 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

I was thinking of putting a checkerboard herb garden on an area of
"lawn"(right off the edge of our driveway) that is mostly hard-packed
rock/lime and a bit of grass. The blocks I will be using for the
checkerboard are 4" deep so the soil where the herbs will grow will also be
4" deep. Do you think I can get an annual crop of herbs to grow in that?
Or is that just too shallow? I won't be watering them since water costs a
small fortune here.

That should work. Most herbs do not need much soil, little water but
plenty sun. Resist the temptation to fertilize, but if you must, feed
small amounts of diluted fish emulsion.

This is not really all the correct. Herbs have deep roots, shallow
roots, need fertilizer, don't need fertilizer, need water, don't need
water, need sun, don't need sun...all depends on what you plan to
grow. If it is Coriscan mint, it will work. If it's dill, it won't.
Roots need to have more room than that to stand upright and not be
dragged down by its own weight in rain, not in rain, wind, etc.