Old 30-03-2007, 08:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Is it too late to salvage my apples?

There is a special grafting technique called something like a 'bridge graft'
which you
can try. You cut a strip of bark from a non-critical place of the tree which
includes
the cambium layer. You then do a graft attachment to points above and below the

place the tree was girdled (this term describes the damage done). You can
probably
google for more details on this technique. I have seen examples where this has
worked, but you may need some help from an accomplished grafter.

If your original tree was on standard rootstock, all you have lost is a few
years until
these cuttings develop into comparable size trees to your current damaged ones.
personally prefer dwarf trees for maintenance, quickness to bear fruit, etc.
You could also buy some dwarfing rootstock and take a piece of scion (outer
branch of
new growth) from your existing tree and graft it onto this rootstock.

If grafting is not an option and you have the money to buy new trees or want
quicker
results in fruit bearing years, I would go with buying dwarf versions of
whatever you
have lost.

I lost a young tree in similar circumstances one year. Protect yourself by
putting fine
wire encircling meshes around the trunks of your trees. Make them high enough
so
that the critters can't climb up a snow drift to get over them. You can also
buy something called tree guards, which are coiled plastic tubing that can be
wrapped
around the trunks. Those however, should be removed after the winter since they

make nice homes for insects. These guards also keep the harsh winter sun from
burning the trunks of your trees.

Also, if the rabbits did not chew past the outer bark and into the cambium
layer, you may be able to just wrap the area and hope the remaining cambium
layer
will continue to pass nutrients to the tree, and also the bark may grow back,
depending on how badly it was chewed.

Sherwin D.

James wrote:

My pet bunnies complete chew the bark around several apple trees. If
I make cuttings now and stick them in the ground, is there much chance
they'll root? They just started leafing. Would I be much better off
just buying dwarf varieties at the nursery?