Old 30-03-2007, 04:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett K Barrett is offline

Default rant

Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
I *get* the writing it out to put thoughts in order. If I'm really, really
angry (doesn't happen all that often, but when it does it ain't pretty), I
try to put it all in a letter to the transgressor. By the time I'm finished
I don't have to send it. Of course, today we have that infernal *send*
button, so ya gotta be careful.

Anyway:

Hypothetical question: What if you have every plant tested and 50% of them
test positive? What would you do?

I thought of that. Old orchid growers say that any orchid grown for the cut
flower trade is guaranteed to be virused... as long as the virus didn;t
affect the flower the plant was allowed to grow. Which shoud make people
wonder... But to directly answer your question... if a plant I didn't truely
love showed up as virused I'd toss it. If it was my Owen Holmes.. I'd have
to think about it.... but I'd probably eventually toss it. (slicing throat)

Another question: What's wrong with testing just the one plant at issue?

Gasp! But what of the ones living just next to the plant in question|??
Viruses travel by damage to the leaf...either by sucking insect (thrip) or
just plain old bumping, dropping damage....... how would one know or be
sure??? (See?? I've been in health care too long. LOL!!! You'd think I was
talking about HIV)

Still another question: What makes you think your plants are the only one
with yucky leaves? G

Lord love you!! I hate to think I'm the only one with crappy leaves!! But
I've seen all your pics and I know better!

And the $64,000 question: How many large collections do you suppose are
truly 100% virus free?

Not a goddamn one! There lies the rub. Should *I* keep virused orchids?
Would it damage my image with the tribe? The world ain't a small place
anymore.....