Old 30-03-2007, 06:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_2_] ~ jan[_2_] is offline

Default Sunfish in ponds?

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:41:09 CST, Kurt wrote:

I've got over 20 medium and large goldfish + at least 30 mosquito fish
in my 800 gal pond. Though I've got lots of plants (dense areas to hide
for all), never have goldfish fry. Haven't ever. Someone's eating the
fry and it can only be gold or mosquitofish.

Depending on the mosquito fish type, they are voracious on other species
fry and eggs. I had 1 mosquito fish in a kiddy pool and never saw any frog
spawn, even though there were plenty of frogs hanging around. Took out that
one fish, and all of a sudden I had frog eggs. While they were in the koi
ponds, never any koi fry either. Luckily they died off when I went to
constant slow flow in the winter. Apparently they couldn't take that slow,
but very cold water, flow at the surface. I don't miss them. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State