Old 27-03-2003, 08:44 PM
janet.bennett

Default Transplanting Leeks

Leeks are among the most tolerant and trouble-free vegetables to
grow - apart from a little bit of extra work.

a.. Choose two or three varieties so you can have early leeks from
October to November, mid-season from December to January, and late from
February to April.

b.. Varieties I'm sowing this year.

c.. Sow the seeds thinly in shallow drills about 6 inches apart in
March or April.

d.. Thin them to about 1 inch apart. I have successfully
transplanted the thinnings - and eaten others as a delicious alternative to
spring onions.

e.. The leeks are ready for transplanting when they are about 8
inches high, and the thickness of a pencil. I lift my early potatoes, fork
in some compost from the heap, and transplant the leeks.
a.. Water the seed bed the day before you transplant.
b.. Make a 6 inch deep hole with a dibber.
c.. Drop in the leek seedling and gently fill the hole with water.
Don't fill it with soil!
d.. Space the leeks 6 inches apart, in rows 12 inches apart.

f.. Keep the weeds down, and draw soil (gently!) around the stems -
but not into the leaves.

g.. Start harvesting when they are still quite small - and as and
when you need them. Lift them gently with a fork.

Growing Calendar - Leeks

Sow inside; in greenhouse; or under cover

Plant out

Sow direct in beds

Harvesting

a.. This calendar is based on my allotment in Yorkshire; southerners
will start earlier, northerners even later!

Vegetable
Rotation bed

Leek
Year 3 (of four)

To Vegetables Index
Top Onions Spring and Salad Onions Shallots Garlic

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Kman" wrote in message
I want to transplant the leeks I have grown from seed. They have roots

up
to 6 inches long. Can I trim the roots to a manageable size with out
damaging the leeks.

Yes, I always used to trim both tops and roots of my leek seedlings before
planting out.
--
Chris Thomas
West Cork