Old 30-03-2007, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore Pam Moore is offline

Default Tomato spacing

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:33:28 +0100, K wrote:

Steve Harris writes
On GQT some months back, they gave the results of a trial where they put
1, 2, 3 or 4 tomato plants in growbags. To their surprise, they got the
best crop from crowding 4 plants into a bag.

I'm therefore considering planting my outdoor toms in the soil at much
less than the standard 18" spacing.

With outdoor toms, if you plant them closer, you are presumably going
to grow then by the cordon method, up canes and diligently pinced out
and tied in.
If they are bush type anything less than 18 inches will give you
problems.
I speak from experience! The bush type grow into one another and make
control very difficult. Cordons need almost daily attention to keep
the side shoots from growing out.
I have had a real jungle of them, for several years, on the allotment,
when I cannot get there frequently.
Unless you can devote a lot of time to them, I suggest 18" to 2 ft.
What do others do?

Pam in Bristol