Old 30-03-2007, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) is offline

Default Ipomoea seed

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"JoeSpareBedroom" writes:

| I suppose Thompson & Morgan might also have the same problem....or not.
Who
| knows?

They do, redoubled in spades. Look at their entries for Ipomoea;
they can't even work out whether I. nil and I. imperialis are species
or crosses. If I recall, I bought their "Scarlett O'Hara" and it most
definitely wasn't - though it was the right colour.

B and T World Seeds do a LOT better, but I have never dealt with
them, and their Web pricing is, er, bizarre. As they are expensive
and not just perverse, I am a bit cautious. Does anyone know how
good they are? Particularly the accuracy of their classifications,
and the viability of their seed (though Ipomoea isn't usually a
problem there).

[*] Actually, I. imperialis is a superseded name for I. nil. While
I. hederacea is currently regarded as different, it has been made
a synonym of I. nil in the past. Anyone who says that I. tricolor,
and either I. purpurea or I. nil are synonyms is probably confused.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Your comments are correct about B and T but they do have a good reputation
and supposedly supply fresher seed than most. You may have to wait the odd
week for supplies. I have not bought Ipomea but their musa seeds performed
reasonably well.