Old 30-03-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
FragileWarrior FragileWarrior is offline

Default Will herbs grow in 4" of soil?

"J.R. in MI" wrote in news:1175292789.225970.263860
@e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

On Mar 30, 8:50�am, Jangchub wrote:
On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 11:46:59 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

wrote:
Are all thymes small or is there a miniature version? *I seem to

remem
ber
something with teeny little leaves from a long-ago garden...

Wooly Thyme is the smallest, but they are all low growers. *There are
many varieties of Thyme so that is a possibility.

That's not a bad idea but is that safe to use on stuff you might eat?

*
Gray water is SUCH a lousy name. *Ugh.

You may want to start washing dishes with an eco-friendly dish soap.
They sell it in health food stores and some large chain groceries.

I was thinking I could put a barrel under a downspout but the only
available one is front and center of the yard. *I'm going to have to

ind
a pretty nice looking barrel to pull that off.

They sell rainbarrels for this purpose. *This little garden you want
will cost a fortune! *LOL.

I use cheap trash cans for rain barrels, with a threaded pvc drain and
rubber gaskets with a spigot.

The only trouble is that the only available downspout is 15' off the
front curb. Whatever goes there has to be attractive and barely visable.
I was thinking of diverting the whole thing over the stockade fence into
the yard so I could use whatever I wanted to for a cistern.

If you can get a pitchfork into the subsoil you could loosen it a bit
for the herbs or maybe try pounding something in and pulling it out?

Not a chance. Underneath the very thin layer of soil on top, there is #6
rock with #2 on top. It's on the outside edge of a stone driveway. They
sure do love their riprap here in Indiana. Freakin' stuff is EVERYWHERE
*except* the driveway.

It seems the blocks are going to help prevent some moisture loss, the
way mulch does.

That would be good.