Old 27-03-2003, 09:08 PM
John Jones

Default [IBC] Worse than Mallsai?

"arzoo623" wrote in message
news:00e401c2f41b$cc338ce0$c3b30144@cx112520b...
My kids' school is offering a $2.00 "mini Bonsai Kit". It

consists of a
2.5
inch x 0.5 inch mica(?) pot, a compressed peat pellet, 4

Jack pine seeds,
pair of Barbi doll scissors, and a tiny book on bonsai care.

My
10-year-old
daughter got suckered because she knows I'm doing some

bonsai.

I trust you spoke to the person who organized this folly

without sounding
too
enraged.

OMG pull your heads out of your soil mix! Remember back so

many years when
you were kids and every little gadget or kit in the back of a

comic book was
the
greatest thing on earth! It was all junk then and it's all

junk now, but it
is a part of
everyones childhood. How your imagination soared! Those are

the good times
you look back on and laugh about. I have one of those stupid

little kits on
the bookshelf
with my bonsai books. Yeah it's dumb but it's the cutest

little thing. And
for the small price
of $2.00, you got your daughter interested in your hobby! What

a deal!
Most kids
look at us like we are nuts!

Good point. I tend to resent the pressure put on kids to sell
stuff to support their schools (I even offered to give my kids'
school $500 per year if they would stop sending those sales
competitions home, but they wouldn't go for it).

Anyway, I agreed to 1) help her with the 2 dollar bonsai kit, and
2) let her pick one of my potentsai as her own. I figure that
way, everyone wins.