Old 30-03-2007, 09:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
humBill humBill is offline

Default bucket filter really worked

On Mar 30, 9:21 am, "drsolo" wrote:
after the polyester batting took a big chunk out of the algae I put regular
filter material in, reticulated foam, screening, etc. and I can now see the
pea gravel on the bottom of the pond. it is amazing how well that bucket
filter works. the ammonia is also back to zero. and I unplugged the heater
and removed plastic off 1/2 the pond and the temp went from 68 down to 52...
yikes. maybe they quit spawning when the temps dropped? the heaters are
back on, the pond is covered for another little while. guess I will have to
wait a bit longer for summer. Ingrid

How do you explain that Ingrid? I have always been told/repeated that
no filter will filter algae because they are much too small. Dead
algae (clumping) can be filtered. Or perhaps that is what you are
implying in your typical concise way: dead algae removed=much greater
visibility.
Bill