Old 31-03-2007, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sarcum Sarcum is offline

Default Will herbs grow in 4" of soil?

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .
I was thinking of putting a checkerboard herb garden on an area of
"lawn"(right off the edge of our driveway) that is mostly hard-packed
rock/lime and a bit of grass. The blocks I will be using for the
checkerboard are 4" deep so the soil where the herbs will grow will also
be
4" deep. Do you think I can get an annual crop of herbs to grow in that?
Or is that just too shallow? I won't be watering them since water costs a
small fortune here.

They will dry out too quickly. Not all herbs are drought tolerant. Some get
to be large plants and need more root space, more depth than 4".