Old 31-03-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Flowering Maple problem

On Mar 30, 11:31 am, "Val" wrote:
"Charles Woolever" wrote in message

Abutilon pictum 'Apricot'

It's not too old and has never grown more then about 1' tall. It gets
sun and is outside in the summer. It's guess it to be about 2 years
old.

It gets an occasional yellow leaf but now I have many leaves, both old
and new, getting a mottled effect. See the scan below on leaf:

http://ny.existingstations.com/auctions/fmleaf.jpg

I've tried fertilizer changes, watering frequency and moving it around
to different windows. I just did a hard prune on it.

Any ideas?

I think your tree is beginning to show signs of Verticillium Wilt. It's a
virus that nursery raised maples seem to be prone to. I had one in a pot
that had leaves showing the same symptoms as yours and pruned and babied it
for most of a year before I took a sample leaf to the extension service and
that's what they told me it had........get rid of it and don't compost, burn
or throw it away. There's no cure. Also don't plant another maple in the
same or near the same spot. It's a soil borne disease and doesn't go away.
There are some other plants that are susceptible to this so you can Google
the disease and see what they are, don't plant those in the same spot or pot
either.

Val

Val,
Flowering Maple is not actually a maple. It's one of those weirdies:
Abutilon is a Mallow in the family Malvaceae.
I have problems with Japanese Maples because of verticillium wilt
also. My Abutilon is planted right next to the spot where the J. Maple
was that died; there is no problem with the Abutilon.( been there 10
yrs)

Emilie
NorCal