Old 31-03-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jangchub Jangchub is offline

Default Natural Insect Repellants

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:55:16 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Paul E. Lehmann" wrote in
:

I have a backyard vineyard of about 100 vines.
Does anyone know of any plants that are natural
insect repellants that I could plant between the
vines. I do not need a product I can eat but
something that is pretty would be an added bonus.

Marigolds are old stand-bys for that kind of thing, the smellier, the
better.

Not true. Marigolds attract spider mites. There is only one variety
of marigold which helps prevent root knot nematodes IN the soil.
Where did you get "the smellier, the better" from?

The way farmers do it in organic method farming is to plant catch
crops for whatever insect. Here, for example, aphids adore the young
Guara lindheimeri, so those get planted in order to then attract lady
beetles...etc.