Old 31-03-2007, 12:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
Charles Woolever Charles Woolever is offline

Default Flowering Maple problem

Thank you!

In article .com,
"mleblanca" wrote:

On Mar 30, 3:55 am, Charles Woolever
wrote:
In article .com
wrote:
I've got a Flowering Maple
Abutilon pictum 'Apricot'
It's not too old and has never grown more then about 1' tall. It gets
sun and is outside in the summer. It's guess it to be about 2 years old.
It gets an occasional yellow leaf but now I have many leaves, both old
and new, getting a mottled effect. See the scan below on leaf:
http://ny.existingstations.com/auctions/fmleaf.jpg
I've tried fertilizer changes, watering frequency and moving it around
to different windows. I just did a hard prune on it.
Any ideas?
Thanks,

Charles

There are several varieties of A. pictum that have variegated foliage.
I couldn't find 'Apricot" , but the photos I found that showed some
variegation had orange/apricot flowers. Perhaps this is a plant with
variegated leaves??
mle

Yes, I found the same thing when I was looking around but I assumed that
the plant would have the variegation from the start and not just start
it later on. This yellow also appears to be a faded yellow rather than
the strong contrast between green and yellow.
If they are prone to virus attacks maybe mine didn't have one but now
does?

Charlres

Charles,
I proposed the varegation solution because of the look of the yellow
area
Nitrogen/chlorosis and magnesium deficiency shows between the veins
A virus is usually very mottled, splotchy yellow. This appears to be
on the
leaf margin (?)
Sometimes in the presence/absence of light variegation varies.
Sun can cause it to show or some plants need shade for variegation to
show. Sometimes it takes a more mature plant. So that was a
possibility.

I think FW might also have suggested a good cause in the watering
situation, as
Abutilons need very good drainage.

What I would do with it is this: water it really well and let the
water run out
of the pot freely and leach out all the fertilizer salts. (which could
be causing
yellowing, too) Then set it in bright light, but not direct sun until
the soil
becomes dry on the top inch. Then water again and let it recover from
the
cutting back. Then try watering it in the same manner: water until it
runs
out the bottom of the pot and then let it dry out on the top.See what
it looks
like then. If the yellow continues, you might try a very weak drench
with
Epsom salt, which promotes production of chlorophyll. If the yellow
goes
away, you have a solution. If the yellow stays, you might just have a
variegated plant!!
Good luck and let us know what happens
Emilie
My abutilon is a hybrid which is bright red-orange and is an outside
plant
which the hummers love. I just bought a pink one.
mle